Thursday, March 4, 2010

2010 Topps Heritage - Waste of Money

I'm a set collector at heart. There is no better collecting feeling than finally finishing a set you've been working (see my year long quest for 2009 Goudey). For this reason, I should really be into Topps Heritage, but it's something I just haven't been able to do. I think the main reason is because in a lot of ways, it's a set that's almost impossible to actually complete due to recent years' implementation of stupid super short printed error cards, as well as just a preponderance of short prints in general. It is just too cost prohibitive to finish this set. Usually you can offset some of your costs with the included hits, but Topps Heritage's hits really aren't worth much at all.

My recent purchases on eBay prove this point pretty well. I bought these days after the set's release, when their value should be at their peak. I really only wanted the Chase Headley relic (the token one Padre relic offered) but saw that with combined shipping for $.25 per additional card, I could pick up tons of these for a net $1.24 each from the case breakers. I ended up buying 9 of them for a grand total of about $13. Understanding there is additional value in a Heritage box such as SPs and refractors, this poor case breaker made back $13 for NINE boxes worth of hits ($720 of boxes!!!!). I posted about this over at I Am Joe Collector, where he cited my comment in agreeing with me.

I mean, I'm not complaining. I mainly bought them so I can have a bit of trading fodder, sometimes I get a little Padres top heavy. Now I've got a variety of teams' players to offer - that Edinson Volquez looks tempting, doesn't it Nachos Grande?




















So, anyone up for trading for some of these 2010 Heritage relics (everything but the Headley)?

No comments:

Post a Comment