Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Padres Season - First Week Analysis

With the Padres season in full swing, I have been devoting more and more time to watching games and reading information on the team. That said, despite the record, I’ve been fairly impressed with the team so far. While Chris Young’s injury is a bummer, I honestly believe the Padres secondary options are superior choices. I like Chris Young. I remember his all star caliber season a few years ago. He has lost velocity since then, which might be OK in Petco, but on the road, I can just see his 84 mph fast ball get belted. With the August/Septembers 2009 that Tim Stauffer and Wade Leblanc had last season, as well as their excellent Springs, I think either of those pitchers would perform as well or better than Young. Plus, the team gets the bonus of deciding if they are going to be in any of the team’s long term plans. I think this evaluation is important, as there is talent coming up through the system that will be ready for the Majors in the next season to season and a half – names like Castro, Pelzer, Poreda. Young has been decent when healthy, but he’s nearing the end of his contract and I’m doubting he will be back with the Padres after this season.

The offense has been iffy (besides the home opener). I’d like to see Kyle Blanks strike out less. I’d like to see Everth Cabrera get on base more. I’d like to see a different 2B (Zawadzki!)(Forsythe!). But they are all youngsters, and I think the time on the job will help them. Chase Headley has been awesome, I should have never doubted him. I’d like to see Scott Hairston get more at bats as I’m just not sure Gwynn is who we need or want in CF. These things I think will all improve as the season goes on.

At the least, the Padres are keeping me, and hopefully other fans, interested. They are a fun team to watch and I am pumped for the rest of the season.

In other card collecting news, I picked up a heap of Padres this weekend at the Shoff Promotions show. I’ll be posting later this week on some of those gems.

No comments:

Post a Comment