Monday, April 26, 2010

Checkoutmycards.com Pickup - Greg Vaughn 1999 SP Chirography

With the Padres on such a roll (1st place!), I got in the mood to buy some Padres autographs I've been wanting. With no new sets having come out for a while, I was forced to use Check Out My Cards for the first time. It ended up being a pleasure, and much cheaper than eBay. Over the next few posts I'll go over some of these great purchases of great Padres.

The first is one I've been wanting for a long time. I've toyed with the idea of collecting autographs of all of the 1998 Padres (the greatest Padres team assembled in my opinion). I've already got Andy Ashby, Tony Gwynn and Sterling Hitchcock, so what's another 25 or so autographs. This one was hard to find as I don't think he signed much. It is none other than our slugger, Greg Vaughn. Picked up in a trade at the 1996 trade deadline, it was one of the few times Kevin Towers picked up a marquee player at the deadline to help the playoff run. I don't remember anyone striking out as often as Greg, but he could hit it far. He was OK, not great in 2006 and 2007, but in 2008 he busted out with a 50 HR season. With him and Ken Caminiti, we had a formidable middle of the order. I seem to recall he had a great throwing arm also. After the World Series run, he got traded for Reggie Sanders and Damian Jackson. I guess that was OK, as both were semi productive for a few years and Greg Vaughn kind of fell off the map. I was sad to see he got no Hall of Fame votes and fell off the ballot. Not even one vote?!?!




















He had a nice signature, that's for sure. And it's on-card.

No comments:

Post a Comment